Friday 6 May 2011

Spinning and Felted 'pod'

Just doing a bit of 'catch-up' posting, I have had a busy time over the recent bank holiday days.
Some home dyed roving I have had in the stash for quite some time:
here it is spun up:
One of the many, many felt blogs that I follow is Angela Barrow, not an amateur craft felter but a professional felt artist, and she makes amazing creations like this felt pod:
She very kindly created this very helpful tutorial so I decided to have a go at making a 'pod'. The first side laid out:
I made some thin dreads and decided to put them inside the pod (to protect them during the felting process I made the resist double thickness and put them between the two layers):
I decorated the outside with bits of contrasting grey and some red silk fibres (which don't really show up very well):
Here it is mid-felt, I decided to make several small openings:
I think it ended up looking a bit like a pixie house:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin