Monday 25 April 2016

U is for Untitled

Wikimedia commons
I made the decision to use 'Untitled' for U way back at the beginning of the A to Z but had not settled on a picture. I found this while searching Wikimedia Commons and was very struck with it; it is such a graphic portrayal of suffering, but also containing other more subtle iconography. Art has always been political, but I sometimes feel that it has only been with the 20th century that it becomes more overtly so. The painting, Untitled (dropped rose), is by South African artist Thami Mnyele who saw art, and culture generally, as very much part of the struggle against oppression. He joined the ANC and was killed in Botswana in 1985 during a raid by South African commandos.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, I can see why it caught your eye. It's kind of arresting me, as well. Very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The letter U brings me to your blog for the first time during the #Challenge. Congratulations on this well presented blog. In scrolling back through a few of your posts, I especially love the lady with her tea. The creativity of these photographs you've selected are powerful. I wrote about hotels and inns, the architecture and architects, the setting in the community. If you have time or interest, there is still time to join me. Hope to see you. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin