Monday 4 April 2016

C is for Convergence

Today's painting for my A to Z was the original inspiration for my theme; this is Convergence by Jackson Pollock, a painter nicknamed 'Jack the Dripper' by Time magazine because of his style of dripping and throwing paint onto the canvas. As his career progressed he began numbering rather than naming his pictures, to stop people trying to interpret them as something figurative, they are not pictures *of* anything.
Jackson Pollock webpage
We recently did a jigsaw puzzle of this painting and enjoyed very much the time spent examining it in minute detail. You come to appreciate the interaction of the controlled and the random; the colours, the quantities and the direction of application are controlled, but the interactions of the colours and the exact way they land are not. I became quite fascinated by the process, wondering if he created it all at once, or let some colours dry before adding more, and wishing I could see it in real life to examine the texture which does not come across at all in a photograph.
Totally coincidentally, yesterday morning I came across this fabulous website, where you can create your own action painting masterpiece; simply swirl your mouse and click to change colour.



4 comments:

  1. There's something about his paintings that draw you in. I've not seen any in real life but would like to. You've picked a great theme. Slightly different art to my sketches.
    You got your pencil and a vegetable out yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine how hard it would be to complete a jigsaw puzzle of one of his paintings! My Stetson's off to you for doing so. His was such a unique style. Had a lot of grief for staying true to himself -- as do most who follow that path. Thanks for following me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You completed a puzzle of this painting? That's amazing! How long did it take to complete?

    Oh, these are so stinking clever! I'm REALLY loving this theme!

    Julie Valerie #1613 on the A to Z Challenge list
    http://www.julievalerie.com/thesaurus-tyrannosaurus-b/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How brave to tackle a puzzle of Pollock's painting! I'm not a fan of this style of painting, but each to his own. I tend to like realism over abstract art. thanks for visiting my blog. I noticed you sew, I do too, but not as much as I used to.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin