Friday 1 April 2016

A is for Angel

The annual Blogging from A to Z Challenge is upon us, and partaking with over 1700 other bloggers I am planning to try and post every day in April (bar Sundays). Partly inspired by our recent experience with Jackson Pollock, at the last minute I have decided on art as my theme. This is going to take a little more research than I had planned, but then it's not a challenge if you don't have to put some effort in. I am not sure I have twenty six favourite works of art corresponding to the letters of the alphabet so we are just going to have to wing it.

Up first is The Angel of the North, by the renown sculptor Antony Gormley, and brought to you via the A1M at Gateshead, which, in my opinion, offers the best way to view this particular work of art, though I confess I have never been up close, so maybe that is something to do next time we go and visit the boys. Usually I don't pay much attention until we are coming past Team Valley when you are quite close but when we were up there recently I noticed it from much further away and realised how sharply it stood out on the brow of the hill and was silhouetted against the evening sky. The site really allows it to dominate the local landscape and despite early opponents it has since become a regional icon.
Wikimedia Commons

5 comments:

  1. Interesting theme and sculpture! Thanks for sharing
    @mysilverstreaks from
    Storiesandmore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so intrigued by every manifestation I find of angels, and this is a striking and alluringly powerful visual statement. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks...big. The wings look like they have been taken from an airplane, which gives them the impression of being out of perspective. Quite intruiging, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is incredible! It really does look like it has plane wings! I'm going to be coming back to see what other things you post about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. It's been a long time since I was up close and personal there but well worth a visit if you're in the neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin