Saturday 18 April 2015

P is for Parker, Peters and Pound

For the A to Z today I was overwhelmed by choice and so we have a small selection of poems. Firstly from the inimitable Dorothy Parker, for Dunk, who was dropped:

Theory

Into love and out again,
     Thus I went, and thus I go.
Spare your voice, and hold your pen - 
     Well and bitterly I know
All the songs were ever sung,
     All the words were ever said;
Could it be, when I was young
     Someone dropped me on my head?


Secondly from the Virago Book of Wicked Verse, edited by Jill Dawson, this one that made me laugh, from Lynn Peters (who claims to style herself after Dorothy Parker):

I suspect

I suspect
There would be more poems
About sex
If it rhymed with more than
Pecks
Necks
Erects and ejects

This begins to sound promising.
I may write one.

And thirdly, to moved completely away from humour, another very short one, this time from Ezra Pound. There has been a lot of controversy surrounding his support for fascism during the Second World War, but I am left feeling that many people supported fascism, including for example the Duke of Windsor, and that society can be very selective about who it decides to forgive. This poem is one of the first in 'The Rattle Bag' and I fell in love with it on first reading, I consider it one of my favourite poems.

And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
                       Not shaking the grass.

(Linking back to the A to Z Challenge)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.