Friday 20 November 2009

We call 'em dungarees

If you pop over to the Bibfessor you can read all about International Overalls Day, which is today. Now I have been a long term fan of dungarees, as we call them here in the UK. I got my first (grown up) pair at Browns of Chester when I was about 11, I think. I remember them well as I sewed a particularly fetching 'I love you' heart shaped patch on the back pocket and they were my favourite piece of clothing for some years. Then in my teenage years I had a cream coloured pair (I hope is it not blasphemous to have non denim ones) which I proceeded to dye pink. Since then I went on and off wearing them. My current collection consists of some lovely stripy multicoloured ones made in Nepal, some patchwork pink/purple ones from Bishopston Trading Company (both pretty old and well worn now) and this pair that came from ebay. I think they appeal to the ageing hippy in me who has a tendency to resist looking 'smart'.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Martine, thanks for the post on my blog and for sure, one should not infer rules for colors of overalls, on the contrary ! Personally I prefer the blue, good for gardening etc., but I have black ones for Christmas and parties! and as an ageing hippie I completely agree on not trying to look smart, but I also like your white ones together with the other colors, so have a nice colorful overalls evening all the best from bibprofessor in Tromsø, Norway where overalls are called for carpenters trousers in Norwegian

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.